Well, it definitely feels like fall out there… But there’s sunshine in the forecast for this weekend and there’s only one way to celebrate in our books— with gelato. More specifically a gelato recipe submitted by one of our very own customers— Amanda Hesser. We hope you enjoy her recipe for Olive Oil gelato!
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons water
- ¾ cup whole milk
- Large pinch salt
- 4 egg yolks
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a medium-size saucepan, stir together sugar, water, milk, and salt. Heat until bubbles form around edge of pan.
- In a separate bowl beat egg yolks until frothy. Continue beating while pouring in the combined liquids in a thin stream. Return the mixture to pan.
- Heat mixture over low to medium heat, stirring consistently until the custard thickens to a loose custard sauce consistency or reaches 185 degrees on an instant-read thermometer. (Take your time and take the pan off the heat, if needed, because you don’t want to scramble the egg).
- Immediately pour the custard into a bowl and set the bowl in an ice water bath. Stir until the mixture is cool. Transfer to a lidded container and refrigerate overnight.
- Whisk in 1/4 cup olive oil in a thin steady stream — the mixture should thicken and turn smooth. Taste the mixture and decide if you want to add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil — the oil flavor will become more prominent as the ice cream ages, so keep this in mind.
- Churn in an ice cream maker following manufacturer’s instructions. Eat right away, or transfer to a container and freeze until ready to eat.