In the hustle and bustle of it all, it can be overwhelming to do just about anything. Let alone do something such as practicing mindfulness. What does that even mean? And how could you possibly do it when you’re so busy. There’s that word. If we had to guess, it’s probably one of the most used words in out there, and sadly the response that many give when asked how they are. Soon you’ll start to realize that all you ever are is busy. What do you miss out on because you’re so busy, we are also guessing that it’s more than you want to. So, before Christmas is really here, let’s ground ourselves so that we can soak up as much holiday cheer as possible with these tips.
- Set the stage. Before walking into a room of holiday (chaos), ground yourself. Sit down and set a time limit, it can be 5 or 10 minutes, or longer if you have the time. Make sure you are alone in a distraction-free environment.
- Be aware of your body, how you feel, and find your breath. Concentrate on your breath filling your lungs and how it feels as they deflate as you exhale.
- Notice how your body feels and what your five senses are taking in at the moment.
- Allow your mind to wander, but do your best not to give into any potential anxieties. Accept them as they are and to let them go.
- Take deep breaths and exhale steadily, practice control.
It just takes five minutes to clear your mind! We hope these tips contribute to be more present this holiday season and to truly enjoy the time spent with family and friends.