Warning: once you’ve enjoyed chickpeas this way, you may crave them all the time.
Chickpeas are an excellent source of protein and for usually less than $1 per can, they are also an economical addition to any meal. So, how do you transform canned chickpeas into restaurant-worthy side dish? Read below.
Kosher Sea Salt
Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
Your choice of spice: Herbs de Provence, Curry, Paprika, Cocoa Powder, Cinnamon, your favorite!
*Don’t add garlic powder if you are going to add Cocoa Powder or Cinnamon
- Drain and rinse your chickpeas. Shake dry.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, add 1/4 c. cornstarch, add 1 teaspoon salt, add 1 teaspoon pepper, add 1 teaspoon garlic powder, and spice of your choice (1 teaspoon). You can add more spices to taste, 1 teaspoon is a baseline. Using a whisk, thoroughly mix cornstarch mix.
- Add in chickpeas. Move the bowl in a circular motion to coat the chickpeas in the cornstarch.
- Heat large skillet to medium-high, add a 3-second pour of EVOO and Vegetable Oil and once hot, add in coated chickpeas.
- Cover the pan to reduce mess as chickpeas tend to “pop” when frying.
- Using a metal spatula, flip chickpeas every 5 minutes until golden brown on each side.
- Once cooked, take a plate and place a piece of paper towel on it (this soaks up excess oil).
- Using a slotted metal spoon, remove chickpeas from hot oil onto the paper towel.
- Let sit for a couple of minutes.
- Use the paper towel to transfer chickpeas to a small serving bowl. Carefully pour chickpeas into the bowl. Enjoy!