In 1946, after serving in the US Navy, Frank D. Bolognino teamed up with his cousin, Vince Pellegrino, and opened the original Roma Importing Co. in the heart of Albany, NY’s “Little Italy”. Two years later, Frank’s brother Jim joined the thriving business, where the focus was providing quality Italian foods and deli offerings to local customers and businesses.
With the development of the South Mall adjacent to the first location, the brothers saw a limited future in downtown Albany. In 1961, they decided to open a second store in the suburb of Latham, the crossroads of the Tri Cities. Two years later, the Albany store closed its doors and the brothers were side by side again in Latham.
A decade later, Jim retired due to health reasons and Frank was the sole proprietor. After only 9 months on his own, Frank(Senior) died suddenly and the business was taken over by his eldest son Frank. Within a few years, Frank was joined by his younger brothers, John, Peter and Paul. A new store was built in 1978, across the street from the Latham location, and in October of that year a new beginning was at hand. With the increased size and convenient location, the product line expanded to include foods from Greece, the Near East and most of Europe.
Roma Foods Importing Company, as it is now legally known, expanded again to South Broadway, Saratoga Springs, NY, in 1984. Bursting at the seams, Roma Foods Saratoga moved in 2002 to its current location on Washington Street. The Latham store now includes a full service catering/prepared foods kitchen as well as all natural meats, fish and produce, becoming a one stop destination for anyone who loves great food, quality groceries, and reasonable prices.