Panna Cotta with Strawberries
The perfect dessert for hot August nights.
- 1 envelop (1 tbsp.) unflavored gelatin
- ½ c milk
- 4 c heavy cream
- 1 c sugar, divided
- 1 (2-inch) piece of vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 3 tbsp. light rum
- 4 c strawberries
- Sprinkle gelatin over the milk and let stand 5 minutes to soften.
- Combine cream and ¾ c sugar. Using tip of a sharp knife, scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean into the cream, then add the pod.
- Place over medium heat and stir until the cream is just starting to simmer.
- Remove from heat, add gelatin mixture, and stir to dissolve completely,
- Cool for 10 minutes.
- Remove vanilla pod.
- Stir in the rum.
- Divide mixture among ½ c ramekins and cover with plastic wrap.
- Chill until set (about 8 hours).
1 Hour Before Serving:
- Combine ½ of the berries with remaining ¼ c sugar and crush with a fork.
- Slice remaining strawberries and add to bowl. Toss to combine.
- Taste and add sugar if needed. Cover and chill until serving.
- To unmold, set each ramekin in enough water to reach halfway up its sides. Let stand 20 seconds, remove from water, wipe dry, then place a serving plate on top and invert.
- Shake ramekin gently until custard comes loose— you may need to run a small knife around edges of the cup.
- Spoon berries around the cream and serve.