Sausage and Sweet Potato Soup
The key to achieving success in anything in life is planning. So, we’re giving you this recipe now, so when you have leftover sweet potato casserole (or not!) you have another meal in your back pocket! Enjoy this recipe for Sausage and Sweet Potato Soup provided by the man himself, Frank Bolognino!
- 1 lb. Roma hot sausage, sliced
- 1 medium-sized yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups leftover sweet potato casserole (without marshmallow topping)
- 1 medium-sized red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teas. fresh thyme leaves
- 1 (5oz) package of baby spinach
- Italian bread
- Cook sausage in Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 7-8 minutes or until browned. Remove sausage from Dutch oven, using a slotted spoon. Reserve 2 tbsp. drippings into Dutch oven.
- Sauté onion in hot drippings in Dutch oven over medium-high heat 5-6 minutes or until tender. Add garlic, and sauté 2 minutes.
- Add broth, next 3 ingredients, and cooked sausage; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add spinach and simmer for 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with toasted Italian bread.
- Buon appetito!