Eggplant Meatballs: the vegetarian twist on an Italian classic!
• Cooking spray
• 1/2 tbsp. EVOO
• 1 1/4 lbs. eggplant, cut into 1-in. pieces
• Salt & pepper to taste
• 2 garlic cloves, crushed
• 2 tbsp. chopped basil
• 1 1/2 c seasoned breadcrumbs
• 1 large egg, beaten
• 2 oz. Romano cheese, freshly grated
• 1 tbsp. flat-leaf parsley
• Jar of Pomodoro sauce
• Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
• Spray a large, rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
• Heat EVOO in a large skillet over high. Add eggplant cubes and 1/4 c. water. Add salt and pepper to taste and cook until tender, stirring occasionally. (about 12 minutes).
• Place eggplant into a food processor and pulse a few times, then transfer to a bowl.
• Add chopped basil, parsley, garlic, Romano, breadcrumbs, 1/2 tsp. salt, ⅛ tsp. pepper, and egg into the bowl and mix.
• Roll mixture into 24 balls and place on a baking sheet. Bake about 25 minutes (until browned).
• Heat sauce in a deep skillet and add meatballs. Cook about 5 minutes, then serve with basil leaves.