Nothing says, “fall” like squash. So embrace the season with this recipe for Stuffed Acorn Squash!
• 3 acorn squash, halved
• Salt & pepper to taste
• 1 lb. ground Italian sausage
• 1 onion, chopped
• 2 large stalks celery, chopped
• 2 apples, diced
• 1/2 tsp sage
• 1 c. panko bread crumbs
• 1 c. Parmesan cheese
• Preheat oven to 400 degrees
• Cut off the ends of the acorn squash using a sharp knife so that each side can stand up on its own
• Cut the squash in half and spoon out seeds
• Brush the squash with EVOO and sprinkle with salt & pepper
• Roast until tender (40-50 minutes). You should be able to pierce with a fork, but it shouldn’t be falling apart.
• While the squash roasts, saute sausage for about 5 minutes. Remove sausage with a slotted spoon and gently squeeze out excess grease— do not discard the grease! Pat the sausage dry.
• Add celery and onion into the pan with sausage grease until it starts to brown.
• Add apple and cook another 2 minutes or so, until apple is tender.
• Stir in sage and bread crumbs.
• Stir in cheese and cook until cheese begins to melt, then set the mixture aside.
• When squash is done roasting, spoon in the sausage mix and place back in the oven for another 15 minutes or so (tops should be browning just slightly).
• Serve with a sprinkle of Parmesan and enjoy!